Monday, December 24, 2012

Bad Experience ACER Aspire One AO722-0473


Price: $345.99

AMD C Series Processor 1GHz
2GB DDR3 RAM
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
11.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 6290
Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 hours Battery Life

Other Opinion

By Pharmboy (North Carolina)

Please read the follow up, after this paragraph: Bought for a gift, but I went in and setup, cleaned up junk and updated first so I got a little experience with it. For a netbook, it has very good power. Didn't ship with too much junk software, and overall feel of keyboard is good. The only gripe is that there is only ONE RAM slot, so I had to yank the 2gb out to put in the 4gb stick (23 bucks here on amazon). It has a space for the second chip, but not the holder. It did boot up slowly on the first run and updates were slower than a regular computer, but running the web and basic tasks were better than any other netbook I've worked with. The gigabit ethernet port is a nice touch, and Wifi worked perfectly. The larger screen is a plus, making it somewhere between a netbook and a small laptop (closer to a netbook) in performance, size and feel. Good choice for someone who wants a "baby laptop" and finds 8" netbooks too small.
---------
Follow up: The screen quit working, but it works with an external monitor, two months old. Ok, it happens, just inconvenient. So I go to their website, fill out the form for a warranty claim and wait. Couple days later, I check up and it was closed out, no explanation. Can't call them, so I "chat" online with a tech, who basically tells me that they thought I must have cracked the screen so it wouldn't be covered, so they just closed the claim with no notification or explanation to me. They made me send TWO different photos of the unit, to prove I wasn't lying, all while in chat. Now, I'm an IT manager with over two decades experience, and I'm familiar with how to properly debug a system and fill out a warranty claim. This was a case of simply closing the claim hoping I would just buy another cheap system from them. IE: The company must be telling employees that this is the preferred way to deal with warranty on network: deny, then accept. Long story short, they are going to fix it, they are paying all transportation, and I am not likely to ever buy an Acer product again. Do not buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment